Saturday, May 30, 2020

Saturday of the Seventh Week of Easter

Lectionary: 302

It is this disciple who testifies to these things
and has written them, and we know that his testimony is true. There are also many other things that Jesus did, but if these were to be described individually, I do not think the whole world would contain the books that would be written.


With these words the Gospel of Saint John ends, again. The stories of Jesus directing the fishermen, sharing breakfast with them, and then quietly testing Saint Peter were added to the Gospel, an epilogue. This additional text faithfully mirrors the theme of "witness" which we have seen throughout the Gospel. The role of the disciples was to see the signs and testify to what they had seen. If, by the time of this writing, the last of the eyewitnesses have died, the Church will continue to bear witness to what they saw. Many generations later, you and I testify because we are of the same community. I can say, "We saw him; we ate with him; we touched his hands!" with complete confidence although I am born and baptized many generations later. Their Spirit is my Spirit, and the Spirit of generations a thousand years hence. 
When the spiritual asks, "Were you there when they crucified my Lord?" I affirm it absolutely. I remember that day better than I remember yesterday. I was there when they crucified him, and when they laid him in the tomb, and when they rolled away the stone. 
In our fellowship, "I" is not a terribly important word. After I have said, "I believe in one God the Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth...." I have taken my place in the congregation and belong to the assembly. 
We witness the Gospel most importantly by attending the Mass. Every Mass is directed "to the Father, through the Son, and in the Holy Spirit." Taking part in that sacrifice, we offer the Crucified Lord Jesus as he offers himself. We are witnesses once again of his Sacred Presence, from his Eternal Existence -- "In the beginning was the Word..." -- through his brief ministry in Judea -- "and the word became flesh and dwelt among us..." -- to his Coming Again in Glory. 
Our daily prayers are also a witness, both in solitude and with our loved ones. His Spirit speaks through us when we pray to the Father, offering Himself and us as sacrificial gifts.
Rising from prayer, we go out to "the world" to testify by our behavior to the Real Presence of Jesus. Our good works, patience, hospitality, and dedication demonstrate the Presence of God in our world. 
Anyone who knows us might testify to God's presence in their world. When they do so they "come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God." And they "have life in his name." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.