Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Easter


Lectionary: 280
There were some Cypriots and Cyrenians among them, however, who came to Antioch and began to speak to the Greeks as well, proclaiming the Lord Jesus. The hand of the Lord was with them and a great number who believed turned to the Lord.


R. Kendall Soulen, in his book, The God of Israel and Christian Theology, addresses the problem of supersessionism, the belief that the New Testament has replaced the Old Testament, and Christians have displaced Jews in the heart of God. “We are God’s chosen people,” the supersessionist would say, “and not the Jews!”
Soulen points to two critical moments in our history when the Christian religion has engaged in a life and death struggle to survive. The first is described in the Acts of the Apostles as the Jewish establishment tried to suppress the Christian movement. The second is the present moment, in the wake of the Shoah, the systematic, mechanized murder of millions of Jews. Christians cannot deny their complicity in the crime; they must either renounce their faith in Jesus or reexamine their deepest attitudes about the God of Israel.
I find guidance in the doctrine of the Trinity. If the Son is not the Father, and the Holy Spirit is not the Son, and the Father is not the Holy Spirit; and yet we believe in One God; then we can recognize the mystery of Other. When I admit that my mother, father, brother, and sister have different life experience, different opinions, and different beliefs; and yet I deeply love and respect these individuals: I am on the way to recognizing their otherness.
I suppose the day comes when a husband or wife wakes up one morning and says, “Who is that person in my bed? I thought I knew!”
Pity the child who cannot admit, “My parents were right about me, and I was wrong.” That one will never learn anything.

The relationship of Jews and Christians is necessarily complicated. There are no simple formulas to explain a better attitude or approach. But it would help if someone could tell all the graduates of Catholic elementary school, “Most Jews are not waiting for a messiah! Messianism has been a plague on Judaism and most rabbis have tried to suppress it since the time of the Maccabees.” Just as no reasonable Christian expects Jesus’ return within their own lifetime, responsible Jews do not hope for a messiah. Get over it!
Nor do we believe all Jews should convert to Catholicism. They should follow the Spirit of God as we do. I can no more tell a Jew what he should do than I can tell my sister what makeup to buy. If I have an opinion on such matters, I’d be a fool to express them.
My part in the salvation of the Jews is to recognize, do penance, and atone for my sins. I should pay special attention to those times when I thought I knew what was best for someone else. And then, I will pray, “God, have mercy on me, a sinner.” 
Finally, I will express my deepest gratitude to the people who gave us Jesus, Mary, innumerable saints, their scriptures and their God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.