Sunday, May 10, 2020

Fifth Sunday of Easter

Lectionary: 52

Thomas said to him, “Master, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?”
Jesus said to him, I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, then you will also know my Father. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”


A technologically sophisticated culture asks, “How do you do this?” It is less interested in questions like, “Why do you do this?” or “Where will this take me?” or “Does this problem need a solution?” This apparently sophisticated culture is fascinated by problems and enraptured by solutions, but frankly naïve for its lack of curiosity about the situation in the first place. It is like the moviegoer who never notices the implausibilities of a sci-fi movie and expects twenty-fifth century adventurers with sidearms to travel through wormholes.

In today’s gospel, the Apostles Thomas and Philip demonstrate that naivete. They expect the explicit to be more explicit because they cannot see what is directly in front of them. They want something else from Jesus when he offers the most precious gift of all, himself. They believe they want something more – a vision, experience or explanation – but in fact they want something less. They would be satisfied with something profoundly dissatisfying, and perhaps never know it.

They might be compared to a child who receives a doll from her grandma. She is happy to play with the doll. But when grandma invites her to sit on her lap and she’ll tell her a story, she refuses, preferring the gift to the giver.

The salvation Jesus describes is more than endless contentment or satisfaction; it is more than entertainment, happiness, or satisfaction; it is more than a goal attained or a problem solved.

It is represented to us by the joy of Christmas, the mystery of Holy Thursday, the sorrow of Good Friday, and the ecstasy of Easter. We might call it communion, or union with the Lord. The going word today is “presence.’ We shall be with the Lord.

We can speculate endlessly about this future experience, but “future experience” is an oxymoron. No one can describe how the future might feel, or what it might mean.

Jesus insists, “I am the way and the truth and the life.” We cannot know the meaning of those words until we have walked with him on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.