Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Tuesday of Fifth Week of Easter


 “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give it to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid. You heard me tell you, ‘I am going away and I will come back to you.


What does peace mean during this year of Covid-19? We have heard the word during times of war and civil strife so often we might suppose it means the opposite of war and civil strife. But during an epidemic, when friends, neighbors, and family might be disappearing under a mysterious and invisible enemy, we feel enormous anxiety; we long for relief. Learning that the epidemic is universal, a pandemic, only heightens our distress. Add to that news of tornadoes in the southern states, mass shootings in Canada, and continuing war in Syria and Afghanistan, we long for peace.

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.
Not as the world gives do I give it to you.”

Today’s gospel describes a moment of crisis. As he rises from the table, and the disciples with him, he says, “I am going away and I will come back to you.”
But before he comes back there is something he must do. Without specifying exactly what he must do, he tells us its meaning: 
“…the world must know that I love the Father and that I do just as the Father has commanded me.”
And then he says, “Come now. Let us go!” (Unfortunately, the lectionary cropped out these last words of the thirty-first verse.)

Longing for peace we might not be stirred to action; we may expect someone else – some patron, hero, or champion – to step forward and save us as we watch with breathless anticipation. The Lord is certainly that savior, and he will act. But he will not act alone. We heard him say yesterday,
“The Advocate, the Holy Spirit
whom the Father will send in my name
he will teach you everything
and remind you of all that I told you.”

The Holy Spirit is a shepherding spirit which appeals to our flocking instinct as disciples of Jesus. Even as he rises from the table we rise to go with our shepherd. Saint Peter spoke for all of us in chapter six,
Obviously, we go with him!

During the past few months we have seen many people rising to the challenge of Covid-19. Millions of health care workers, acutely aware of the danger, have reported to their hospitals and clinics faithfully and on time. They have worried about their children and families and taken innumerable precautions, all but the precaution of not doing their duty. Their willingness, surely, is the Holy Spirit moving among us. Essential workers, many who are not well paid for their labor, have supported the crippled economy as they stocked food shelves, delivered mail and packages, and policed our neighborhoods. Peace in those blessed with the Lord’s spirit looks like courage, although they know it as a lack of fear.

The Lord has assured us, “I am going away and I will come back to you.” We know what to do in the meanwhile. We listen to his Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.