Saturday, January 2, 2021

Memorial of Saints Basil the Great and Gregory Nazianzen, Bishops and Doctors of the Church

Lectionary: 205

John answered them, “I baptize with water; but there is one among you whom you do not recognize, the one who is coming after me, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to untie.” This happened in Bethany across the Jordan, where John was baptizing.


The Infancy Narratives of Luke and Matthew, celebrating a single event, have been separated by complex historical/political considerations. Because the Epiphany is essentially a reiteration of Christmas, we can look beyond tomorrow and anticipate the end of the season and the Baptism of the Lord. With that agreement we hear today's gospel about the Baptist's mission to baptize with water

I have been reading a book of Christmas reflections by Saint John Henry Newman and was struck by his insistence that no one can do penance without suffering some remorse and shame over their past sins. Long before Social Security redefined retirement, he chastised people who would conduct their careers without reference to the Lord, and then get religion to close out their lives. It's not that simple! You  can't simply shed the greed of a lifetime and put on religion like an evening jacket. If you're blessed you might discover your faith feels more like a hairshirt with the bristles turned inward. 
St. John the Baptist describes his mission as making "straight the way of the Lord." That involved the arduous tasks of leveling mountains and building highways through wetlands:
Make straight in the wasteland a highway for our God!
Every valley shall be lifted up,
every mountain and hill made low;
The rugged land shall be a plain,
the rough country, a broad valley. 

These are not tasks for retirement! In my hospital ministry I have discovered many people whose minds have gone soft. Because of advanced age and often because of poor choices along the way to advanced age, their brains cannot do the work of prayer, much less repentance. I hope that I am always kind to them as I confer the sacraments of Anointing the Sick and Eucharist, reclaiming them as beloved members of our Communion; but I can see they don't remember much about faith, prayer, or our dear Lord. Some unfortunate souls are inconsolably locked into remorse, and unable to experience God's Mercy. The mention of God is actually painful for them. 

We cannot afford to put off repentance, especially at this moment in our history as we experience a continuing disintegration of social harmony around us. We must pray that God will forgive our sins and spare us the violence that may erupt when the Democratic party takes control of the Senate, the House, and the Executive office. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.