Saturday, January 9, 2021

Saturday after Epiphany

Lectionary: 217

We know that we belong to God,
and the whole world is under the power of the Evil One. 
We also know that the Son of God has come
and has given us discernment to know the one who is true. 
And we are in the one who is true,
in his Son Jesus Christ. 
He is the true God and eternal life. 
Children, be on your guard against idols.


I was only a few years ordained when Jim Jones coerced his nine hundred and some followers to join him in mass suicide. I realized as I never had before the blessing of being a Catholic, under the authority of priests, bishops, and the pope. I know these men are human and sometime seriously sinful, but I am sure God's Spirit rests upon us as it never rested upon a maniac's so-called Peoples Temple. I have heard many similar stories since 1978 of false prophets and gullible people who do not guard against idols. 

I remember one unfortunate woman who told me she was desperately in love but her lover kept asking for money and she couldn't give him anymore. It took several minutes for me to understand her lover was a televangelist; she had never actually seen or met the man. This confused, impoverished woman needed more help than I could give her; she needed a family and a church that could wrap her in safety, lead her in truth, and manage her money. Very often our most deranged individuals tell us what is sick about our society. They are more vulnerable than most, although we all struggle with their issues. 
I see a similar confusion in followers of Mr. Trump, especially those who believe with him that he actually won last year's election. Their derangement represents a serious threat to the world's most powerful democracy.
 
Many Catholics in a multicultural society feel challenged by Saint John's statement. They get anxious with his insistent remark, "We know that we belong to God." But we have to make that claim anyway; we do not, and should not expect to, share the Truth with unbelievers. We're not "both right." It does matter if you go to Church; it does matter which Church you attend. It does no one any favors to say otherwise, it deprives them of the confident witness they should have from us. 

If they join us; pray with us; study our traditions; wisdom, and lore; and wrap themselves in the confidence of our faith, they will know the grace and unearned privilege that we have received in the One who is True, his Son Jesus Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.