Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Optional Memorial of Saint Angela Merici, virgin


The Holy Spirit also testifies to us, for after saying:
    This is the covenant I will establish with them
        after those days, says the Lord:
    “I will put my laws in their hearts,
        and I will write them upon their minds,”
he also says:
    Their sins and their evildoing
        I will remember no more.
Where there is forgiveness of these, there is no longer offering for sin.

 
The Divine Author of Hebrews cites a passage from Jeremiah (3:33):
I will place my law within them and write it upon their hearts; I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

The Author emphasizes the overwhelming power of the Holy Spirit who places “my law in your hearts” to guide our thoughts and decisions. Often, when the saints speak of their rapturous knowledge of God, it sounds as if they have lost their freedom, as if they are possessed. They don’t hesitate to use frightening metaphors like surrender, servants, slavery, and possession to describe their obedience to God’s spirit.

Today's Catholic should be reminded that the one we call “GOD” is not just any god. Our God claims us as his own, and we are God’s people. If we are not God’s people, we are nothing but lost souls. Too often we speak of God as a god who creates us but neither knows nor cares about us. He is just “God.”

Our knowledge of God begins with, “I will be their God, and they shall be my people.” much as a man will say, “This is my wife!” and “I am her husband.” or “This is my father. I am his son.”

Among humans, these important relations go further as a faithful husband might say, “That’s a good idea. I’ll discuss it with my wife and get back to you.” or “I’d love to, but my wife would not be interested, so I’ll decline your offer.”

This man’s freedom is guided by his devotion to the woman who has proven her trustworthiness. They work at being of one mind and heart and will. Devoted parents are likewise guided by responsibility for their children in the same way. Whatever they do for themselves, they decide only after considering its meaning and impact to their children.

There are many who consider Christian freedom utter nonsense. Their "freedom" is to do whatever they want within the limits of their power, without responsibility, transparency, or accountability. No one else matters; no one else exists in that vision of freedom. Goodness is what I want; evil is what I don’t want. And I decide what both words mean. Christians know that so-called “freedom” is the worst kind of all; it is bondage to self.

In today’s reading we learn that our freedom is continually reassured by the Lord who tells us, “Their sins and their evildoing I will remember no more.” This is not a license to sin but a reassurance that the Son of Man knows our failings, recognizes our courage, and admires our willingness to turn back to the Lord. 

Responsible, transparent, and accountable, we live and move and have our being in God for we are his people and he is our God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.