Friday, June 25, 2021

Friday of the Twelfth Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 375

And then a leper approached, did him homage, and said,
“Lord, if you wish, you can make me clean.”
He stretched out his hand, touched him, and said,
“I will do it. Be made clean.”
His leprosy was cleansed immediately.


Through the Prophet Isaiah, the Lord spoke to Ahaz, king of Jerusalem:

"Ask for a sign from the LORD, your God; let it be deep as Sheol, or high as the sky!"
But Ahaz answered, “I will not ask! I will not tempt the LORD!”

As heir of David, and hearing news of hostile armies approaching Jerusalem, Ahaz had every right to beg the Lord for mercy. But being a proud man he would not ask. He cloaked his pride in humility, like a wolf in sheep's clothing, but his wickedness was transparent to anyone who knew him. 

I think of that story as I hear of the humble leper who dared to accost Jesus. On that occasion Jesus had just wowed a huge crowd with his Sermon on the Mount. He was evidently a great man, able to command the attention of many people. But whether he was great or not, the sick man saw his opportunity and would not let it pass by. 

People sometimes cloak their pride in false modesty or cosmic excuses that the God of the Universe doesn't have time for me and my problems. The leper might say to them, "Cry a river. Build a bridge. And get over yourself." 

The Bible is filled with God's urging us to ask for his help. We simply cannot manage our affairs without God. Only the fool thinks otherwise and there are many stories of fools in the same Book. 

In the 1950's the Roman Catholic Church in the United States was hugely successful with well-attended churches, schools from elementary to graduate, hospitals, social services, and innumerable volunteer organizations. Many dioceses had complete seminary systems with doctored professors. In Louisville, it seemed that every parish had a eighth-grade elementary school which prepared boys and girls to enter the Catholic high schools. Those days are gone. To one remembering that triumphant church, the future seems bleak. 

Should I despair? Imagine a rosy picture of a glorious past restored? Or pray? 

The leper in today's story tells me, "Pray boldly! It is the Spirit of God moving within us and we should not stifle the Spirit." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.