Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Memorial of Saint Justin, Martyr

Lectionary: 354

So Jesus said to them, “Repay to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God.”
They were utterly amazed at him.

The master storyteller Saint Mark leaves it to the congregation to recognize Jesus's deadpan reply to the Pharisees' and Herodians' snare.
I remember a similar astonishment when I placed my queen right next to opponent's king and declared, "Checkmate!" He took my queen with his king. I was "utterly amazed" and didn't sleep all night. 
The ninth psalm chortles about how often people set traps for others and destroy themselves: "The nations fall into the pit they dig; in the snare they hide, their own foot is caught." The Divine Authors of the Testaments Old and New recognized the hidden hand of God in these apparent accidents. The irony was intended by the One who governs all things.
The Evangelist also saw the Father's hand guiding Jesus as he eluded capture time after time. They could not touch him until the day and the hour had come. 
Christian ministers have made much of Jesus's reply throughout the centuries as they negotiated with civil authorities of many different nations. Emperors, kings, prime ministers, presidents, governors, and mayors often want more than their due. They would be loved, respected, and obeyed with a touch of holy fear. They often expect and receive deferential treatment from the less powerful who need their patronage. We should laugh at their jokes and grieve over their disappointments.  
The Bible always insisted that rulers should be servants of God and shepherds of their people even as their first concern is always themselves. The more power they amass, the more they want. They would have what is Caesar's and what is God's. 
Jesus' quick reply mocks the unjust demands of government and reminds citizens of their true obligations. So long as there are powerful institutions his bon mot will challenge them to stand down and fulfill their sworn duty to serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.