Thursday, June 17, 2021

Thursday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time


Did I make a mistake when I humbled myself so that you might be exalted, because I preached the Gospel of God to you without charge? I plundered other churches by accepting from them in order to minister to you. And when I was with you and in need, I did not burden anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied my needs.
So I refrained and will refrain from burdening you in any way.

 


Although Saint Paul’s intention as he writes this passage to the Corinthians is to persuade them to avoid the “super apostles,” he also gives us a useful description of his lifestyle. Apparently of a good family in a time of political and economic stability, and well educated in Greek and Hebrew philosophy, he might have done better by this world’s standards. But the young zealot abandoned a great future as a  Pharisee and tormentor of Christians to become one tormented by Jewish and Christian pharisees!

His reward for that sacrificial way of life was the opportunity to make more sacrifices while he coped with disappointing results from his missionary efforts. Clearly, the man was motivated by something other than money.  

In a world that offered security and stability to anyone who would maintain the established order without shaking anything up, Saint Paul announced the life, teachings, death, and resurrection of Jesus. Animated by the Spirit of Jesus which simply mystified everyone who wasn't caught up in the same Spirit, he could not help but generate trouble. 


Given his example, faithful Christians still expect the same disinterested dedication of their leaders. There should be no hidden agendas and no secret stashes to support an outlandish life style among the clergy. 

Nor, for the most part, are layfolks eager to examine where or how their donations are spent. They want to believe their leaders are trustworthy; and, for the most part, their trust is honored. 

Although the priest pedophilia scandal, first appearing in the 1980's, rocked the Church to its foundations, and many safeguards have been put in place, most Catholics still believe their own pastors are honorable men. 

That faith in the Church is akin to the sola fides of Saint Paul's Gospel. We must trust one another. When we are betrayed, we must work to restore trust for we cannot simply abandon the practice of religion or faith. 

Faith in God and in the Church is also faith in democracy and the people, institutions, and principles that make it work. "That make it work" for it does not happen automatically. 

That faith relies on every parties willingness to live simply, without avarice, greed, or lust -- as Saint Paul described. 

Confident of my own integrity and that of my fellows, even as we know and confess our occasional infidelity, we work together to build the Kingdom of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.