Saturday, June 12, 2021

Memorial of the Immaculate Heart of Mary

Lectionary: 364/573


So whoever is in Christ is a new creation:
the old things have passed away;
behold, new things have come.
And all this is from God,
who has reconciled us to himself through Christ
and given us the ministry of reconciliation,
namely, God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ,
not counting their trespasses against them
and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.

 




In today’s passage from 2 Corinthians, Saint Paul uses reconcile and its associated noun, reconciliation, five times. I have repeated other words too often when I was caught up in an exciting new insight. I had not yet fully understood what it meant and had yet to integrate it into the rest of my thinking. Once that happens, I see more clearly how it fits our gospel way of life, and I can use similar words and concepts to explore the mystery more deeply.

The Apostle describes a “ministry of reconciliation” between the flesh and the spirit. These words are like narrow openings to enormous caverns. What does he mean by flesh, and how is it opposed to spirit?


The Memorial of the Immaculate Heart of Mary offers us a blessed opportunity to reflect on this. The Church celebrates the Virgin gave flesh to the Son of God. The Holy Spirit, overshadowing her, provided the spirit; and of that encounter the Infant Savior was born. But her giving was obviously not finished with his birth as she nursed him for several years. His person and their bond were, and remain, living reconciliations of flesh and spirit, a mystery we call Incarnation.


When we speak of reconciliation, we’re usually speaking of the meeting of opposites: flesh and spirit, light and dark, male and female, day and night, old and new, cold and hot. Reconciliation may neutralize evil but it does not destroy it. Rather we find a "new creation" as we obey the Lord and accept his invitation. Enemies can be reconciled and become allies with synergy beyond all expectation.


Speaking of the ministry of reconciliation, we often use those polarities as symbols to describe the work of God. What could be more repugnant than the cross? And yet, reconciled by Jesus command to, "Take up your cross and follow me," we discover astonishing grace. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.