Monday, March 23, 2020

Monday of the Fourth Week of Lent

Lectionary: 244

For I create Jerusalem to be a joy
and its people to be a delight;
I will rejoice in Jerusalem
and exult in my people.

No longer shall the sound of weeping be heard there, or the sound of crying; no longer shall there be in it an infant who lives but a few days, or an old man who does not round out his full lifetime. He dies a mere youth who reaches but a hundred years, and he who fails of a hundred shall be thought accursed.
They shall live in the houses they build, and eat the fruit of the vineyards they plant.

Saint Paul assured the Romans.
"...and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the holy Spirit that has been given to us." 
With Laetare Sunday behind us and Passiontide ahead, it is good to hear God's promises described in Isaiah's homely images. Even among healthy nations, a hundred years is a long life. What do we hope for?  

Emily Dickinson wrote:
“Hope” is the thing with feathers -That perches in the soul -And sings the tune without the words -And never stops - at all -
And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard And sore must be the storm -That could abash the little BirdThat kept so many warm -
I’ve heard it in the chillest land -And on the strangest Sea -Yet - never - in Extremity,It asked a crumb - of me.
 Ms. Dickinson describes God's courage. I think we neglect an important doctrine when we assume that God has no need for courage. Doesn't God just do whatever God wants, and get whatever God desires? How can there be any risk in God's actions? 
But, clearly, God has risked much with me, and the resolution of God's plans for me is not yet settled. How will this all turn out? Will my creation and salvation be for naught? If feathered "hope" asks nothing of me, it expects much of me. 
And moves in me to fulfillment. 
For I create Jerusalem to be a joy
and its people to be a delight;
I will rejoice in Jerusalem
and exult in my people.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.