Saturday, March 21, 2020

Saturday of the Third Week of Lent

Lectionary: 242

Let us know, let us strive to know the LORD; as certain as the dawn is his coming, and his judgment shines forth like the light of day! He will come to us like the rain, like spring rain that waters the earth.


No one wants to be taken for granted. Everyone wants at least some recognition. But it is good that people do take us for granted. Because we are so consistently reliable  people expect us to be there, and we are. 
Companies and volunteer organizations give awards to dependable people, honoring their years of service. Wiser managers know we need recognition even when we're naturally shy and self-conscious. Leaders so preoccupied with pressing concerns that they fail to honor and thank their team will find even the most willing staff fading away. 
When the Lord commanded the escaping Hebrew slaves to "Honor your father and mother!" he knew they deserve their children's recognition, and children should not presume upon their parents. Responsible parents occasionally disappear from their children to take a night out or a day off, for their own self-maintenance; and to remind their children, "You are not the center of my universe!"

Today's scriptures remind us that, despite the dependability of quality people, we always stand in supplication before others. There is nothing automatic about human behavior. Although we organize people along mechanical principles, they do not act like machines. At every moment of every step in every process, they have a choice. 
No one has to do my bidding; no one must do what I expect. No one is here for the sole purpose of pleasing me. Although the quarterback tells me to go out for a pass, it might not be there when I arrive at the appointed spot. 
The Lord made a covenant with Abraham and his descendants. He would be there for them. He tested Abraham in the sorest possible fashion, to see if the Patriarch would believe the Lord; and Abraham proved himself worthy. Abraham also tested the Lord even as he raised the knife over Isaac, and the Lord did not fail him. Jesus went even further as he marched to Jerusalem, carried his cross, descended into hell, and waited for his Father to save him. 
We test one another continually, and we often fail one another. But the Lord is faithful and his Spirit revives our willingness to trust again and again, even as Charlie Brown trusts Lucy to hold that football. 
Today's readings describe unfaithful prayers and the persons who assume that God is like the spring rains or a mindless machine. He will not endure that. 
For this reason I smote them through the prophets,
I slew them by the words of my mouth;
For it is love that I desire, not sacrifice,
and knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.