Friday, August 21, 2020

Memorial of Saint Pius X, Pope

 

Lectionary: 423



Thus says the Lord GOD to these bones: See! I will bring spirit into you, that you may come to life. I will put sinews upon you, make flesh grow over you, cover you with skin, and put spirit in you so that you may come to life and know that I am the LORD.




What a terrific image! It's celebrated in American bible camp songs, and now illustrated with clever animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCtneZbJb3Q

We can suppose Ezekiel's original audience in Babylon found his vision equally entertaining, even as they were encouraged and inspired. Perhaps they went home laughing at the outlandish story, for hope without laughter is like a hamburger without ketchup, mustard, or both. It may be nourishing but it needs a condiment to slide into our spiritual gullets. 
Perhaps I have told this story before but it happened early in my priesthood and helped to form who I am: 
As a rather dismal meeting of priests adjourned and we headed for the parking lot, one fellow said, "You've got to have faith!"
A second said, "You've got to have faith and a sense of humor!"
A third rejoined, "You've got to have a sense of humor and faith." 

Faith without a sense of humor is probably not the real thing. It tries too hard, like Bert Lahr, the cowardly lion, "I do believe; I do believe; I do believe." -- when you really don't believe. 
Faith rides out the storms patiently, reassured that even if the worse should happen, it'll be alright. God is still in charge. 
Faith surrenders control to the Lord, and believes that all things will be well because there is nothing so enormous or terrible that God cannot handle it. 
We have seen the Lord conquer death as the Son of God died in the most ignomious fashion, but returned in spectacular fashion and with unimaginable gifts on the third day. 
Today we face a pandemic that, in a matter of weeks, swept around the world and, eight months later, threatens to remain with us for at least another eight months. And quite possible, forever. 
Apparently this Covid-19 pandemic is child's play compared to the looming catastrophe of climate change. The world is heating up due to our own policies and deliberate actions. We see it happening; we understand it; and all we can do is quarrel about it. It is as senseless as a world war, the Shoah, and Original Sin; the direct result of mindless progress. We have proven we're clever enough to destroy life on Earth; can we now restore it?
Humor doesn't make problems go away. Hope does that. But humor addresses our denial and reminds us we can be, and have often been, wrong. It assures us we can change our thinking, attitudes, and behavior. We can work together for the common good in the same way that we laugh with our opponents and then find agreement. 
Realists will insist that dry bones cannot be rehydrated, refleshed, or reinspired; but faith, hope, love, and humor insist, "All things are possible with God." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.