Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Wednesday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time


Lectionary: 421



For thus says the Lord GOD: I myself will look after and tend my sheep.


The readings today present a striking contrast of two popular images of God. The first reading and the responsory psalm recall our Good Shepherd who never leaves his flock untended. Ezekiel's words remind us that corruption among powerful managers is nothing new. Ancient government officials, traders, and religious authorities were little different from the law-twisting businesses, entertainers, politicians, judges, news media, or religious leaders of our time. First they watch out for themselves; then for those who gave them the power; and finally for the jobs they were supposed to do in the first place.
In the ancient world corrupt officials could be removed from powerful positions by armed revolution; it is not so easy today as they move through the revolving door of government officials and lobbyists.
The Lord's people, that is the minorities and powerless who can only watch these shenanigans as Lazarus watched the diners at their opulent table, call upon their Good Shepherd to guide and comfort them in a treacherous world.
The other popular image is God as an arbitrary, all-powerful ruler, as he appears in today's gospel. He hires and fires, rewards, and punishes, gives and refuses to give -- to suit his own purposes. He owes an explanation to no one.
How do we reconcile these opposite images of God?
The world can be cruel. If God is, by definition, the all powerful creator of the world, it's not unreasonable to suppose that his universe reflects his nature. Those who experience life as cruelly indifferent and merciless can only suppose that "God" is like that. Those who want to get ahead in this world, or even survive, adapt to their beliefs. They too are violent and pitiless. I think of the cartels that ship illegal drugs from Mexico to American addicts, using American money, American carriers, and American weapons. They act upon their experience and beliefs.
Christian revelation challenges that system. Although we believe that God is the all-powerful creator, God's mercy shines through our scriptures, tradition, and liturgy. His eye is upon his elect and his elect are the least among us. They are the sheep of his flock and
because his sheep have been given over to pillage, and because his sheep have become food for every wild beast, for lack of a shepherd; because his shepherds did not look after his sheep, but pastured themselves and did not pasture the sheep; he will come against these shepherds. He will claim the sheep from them and put a stop to their shepherding.
The arbitrary landlord of today's gospel reminds us that whatever we expect of God might not be God's intention.
Several years ago, as the only inhabitant of a small rectory, I often answered the door and telephone to find people asking for help. Some expected that, because this was a Catholic church and I was a Catholic priest, I had to give them what they wanted in the manner they wanted. I didn't see it that way. I helped some of them in my own way, if I chose to.
I never believed anything they told me about their pathetic situation. Nor did I blame them for their fabrications; I'm sure I would do the same thing. Survival in America is often desperate and doesn't allow for the luxury of precise truth-telling.
In some cases, I sent them to the gasoline station or the grocery store, and then called the managers to tell them what to sell to the individuals, and to charge it to me. I never gave cash and never charged it to the parish. Sometimes I simply refused. Maybe I'd seen them before; maybe I didn't like them; maybe I couldn't afford it. As the landowner says in today's gospel, "...am I not free to do as I wish with my own money?"

I hoped that I was guided by the Holy Spirit, which is both merciful and just. The Spirit knows what I should have done, and is my only judge.

"For freedom, Christ set you free!" Saint Paul insisted. In the freedom of God's spirit we are both sheperds and sheep. As we have money, authority, and limited freedom we are responsible. As we are subject to the vagaries of an amoral, indifferent economy we look to the Good Shepherd.
We look to the Judge who, like the judges of the Old Testament, sets things right in God's time and God's way. We dare not presume to tell the Lord how he should govern, but we believe devoutly in his mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.