Monday, August 17, 2020

Monday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time

Collect for vocations to the religious life
“Teacher, what good must I do to gain eternal life?”


In today’s gospel Jesus responds to the wealthy young man’s impetuous question with a challenge and an invitation. Startled by the Savior’s response, he has little choice but to turn and go away sad, for he had many possessions.


Besides an inordinate attachment to stuff, he may have asked the wrong question. Jesus’s response, of course, is spot on; but the young man presumed he was ready to do whatever was necessary.

Jesus first tried to brush him off with “…keep the commandments.” The gospels tell us more than a few people thought they might follow the Lord and were rejected. Matthew 8:20 describes two other eager volunteers who were sent packing. They are not responding to a divine calling; but, for whatever reason, have decided, “This is what I will do!” Perhaps Jesus is “the next big thing.” They have heard him speak and they want to catch the Christian movement at its outset, on its way to success, power, and glory. Like James and John, they might sit at his right and his left!

This brash young fellow was not prepared to pay the price. There were too many I’s in this young man’s declaration. Would-be disciples assume the initiative is theirs. “Just teach me what I should do," they say, "and I will do it!” 

And so Jesus hits him with the whole, unvarnished truth, “You must give me everything you’ve got, and then some! You must pay more than you are willing to pay; more than you can afford; more than you will ever be able to afford! There will be nothing left of you.”

How many of us, recalling the day we took our vows, knew how much it would cost at the time? If we were asked to do it all over again, we might say yes, but we’d think long and hard about it. “Had I known then what I know now….”

Young man, you don't want to know the answer to your question. Why don’t you cool your jets for a while and wait to see what develops? You have the Lord’s eye. (Saint Mark tells us that Jesus looked at him with affection.) Let him decide when, where, and how you will give. Let him draw you to himself and reveal your future to you without your interference. 

What you have to pay will be everything, and nothing. A pittance really, compared to what He will do for you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.