Monday, February 8, 2021

Monday of the Fifth Week in Ordinary Time


Such is the story of the heavens and the earth at their creation.

 

The poet Muriel Rukeyser wrote, “The universe is made of stories, not of atoms.” I invoke that belief often as I ask Veterans to tell me their stories. Without the stories we have no place in the universe; and without us there would be neither stories nor universe.

I was fascinated by the story David Waltham tells in his beautiful book, Lucky Planet: Why Earth is Exceptional-and What That Means for Life in the Universe. The geologist traces the history of our home through the evidence of rocks and fossils. He describes the many ages of life before the appearance of the human animal, and the many ages of rocks before the appearance of life. He speculates that the Earth with its life forms might survive another half-billion years. That is not nearly enough time, he says, for us to find alien civilizations in the vast universe, nor enough time for them to find us.

Waltham has detailed many geological events that did not have to happen but did; and concludes we are lucky to be here. Given the odds against it, it should not happen. I enjoyed the geologist’s book enormously but had to disagree with his theology. There is no god named “Luck,” there is only the God who called us out of nothing. Ours is the “Blessed Planet.”

“Luck” as a god makes no sense to me. Where would personhood come from were it not generated by the three-person’d Trinity? Could Luck recognize itself and give itself the honor and praise that the beautiful universe arouses in us? Luck never asks anyone to be generous or courageous; it speaks in odds, which are numbers we create. They don’t exist beyond our imagination. Odds might arouse curiosity but where would curiosity come from without a person’d Trinity to wonder at the mystery of otherness? Would luck write a book about itself? 

Waltham’s beautiful book, which I highly recommend, proved to me the need for theologians to recognize the wonder of our world and its Creator.

With that said, we can return to the story of creation which opens our Bible. Just to hear it read aloud is to gaze with wonder into the starry, starry night of God’s goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.