Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Tuesday of the Fifth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 330


Thus the heavens and the earth and all their array were completed.
Since on the seventh day God was finished with the work he had been doing,

he rested on the seventh day from all the work he had undertaken.
So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy,
because on it he rested from all the work he had done in creation.

 

In the Book of Exodus we hear the Lord’s command, “Remember the sabbath day, and keep it holy.” When the Lord delivered his people out of Egypt, he gave them the privilege of rest. Relaxation and leisure are holy pastimes, made so first by the Lord’s example in Genesis, and then by the Sacred Law.


Unfortunately, many interpret the commandment to keep the Sabbath as going to church on Sunday. it is a command they cannot keep because they have work to do! And that they regard as more sacred than God’s command. Compelled by the drive for survival or success; terrified of failure, of falling behind, or of some vague but dreadful catastrophe; they keep working.


Poet Katherine May has reflected on the gift of rest in her book, Wintering. Interviewed by Krista Tippet on National Public Radio’s On Being, she spoke of the opportunity the pandemic has given to rest, be still, and let life move at its own pace. The sleep of winter reminds us that we don’t have to be doing all the time to justify ourselves, or even to survive. We can let go and let be and watch as we drift in the current of time.


The great 17th century English poet, George Herbert, in his poem, The Pulley, also reflected on the gift of rest.

 

When God at first made man,

Having a glass of blessings standing by,

“Let us,” said he, “pour on him all we can.

Let the world’s riches, which dispersèd lie,

Contract into a span.”

 

So strength first made a way;

Then beauty flowed, then wisdom, honour, pleasure.

When almost all was out, God made a stay,

Perceiving that, alone of all his treasure,

Rest in the bottom lay.

 

“For if I should,” said he,

“Bestow this jewel also on my creature,

He would adore my gifts instead of me,

And rest in Nature, not the God of Nature;

So both should losers be.

 

“Yet let him keep the rest,

But keep them with repining restlessness;

Let him be rich and weary, that at least,

If goodness lead him not, yet weariness

May toss him to my breast.”

 

Finally, Jesus endorsed the ancient law of Sabbath rest when he said, “Come to me all you who labor and weary, and I will give you rest.” He is our Sabbath, the Day of the Lord. Our hearts are restless till they rest in him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.