Sunday, February 14, 2021

Sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time


Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.
Avoid giving offense, whether to the Jews or Greeks or the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in every way, not seeking my own benefit but that of the many, that they may be saved.
Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.


Wow! Do we need today's second reading Today! Avoiding giving offense "to the Jews or Greeks or the church of God" is Saint Paul's all-inclusive statement. The world in his mind, and in that of the early church, was divided into those three groups; and none should be offended. 

Even at the expense of pleasing our own base we should not offend others! 
But wouldn't it me more advantageous to my side if I delighted my people by insulting our enemies? Don't my people really enjoy my contempt and veiled threats toward our enemies? 

The Apostle Paul disavowed all that, and urged his people to "Be imitators of me as I am of Christ."

There can be no "lepers" in the Church, nor shoud we see them anywhere. In our eyes there are no undesirables, no untouchables, no despised or hated. We might disagree with others but we revere them always.
 
I heard recently then-Senator Joe Biden's talk at the funeral of his friend, Senator John McCain. If you haven't heard it, it's worth your timePope Francis also speaks with marvelous clarity about the attitudes we should cultivate in his recent book, Let Us Dream

Like his predecessor, Saint Paul VI, he has called several synods of bishops together to discuss the situation of the Church today. The word synod comprises two Greek words, "syn-odos," meaning, "walk together." When the bishops meet together and ignore what the press misinterpret and outsiders mischaracterize, they have the freedom to listen to one another. They recognize the compassion and zeal everyone brings to the meeting, and discover ways to walk together in God's presence. These new paths were not obvious before.
 
It takes courage to set aside one's own opinions for a little while to hear another's opinions. It takes faith, specifically in the Holy Spirit, to believe that something good can come of my being silent, to listening to others, and to my speaking respectfully to someone whom I have feared and despised. 

Pope Francis also reminds us in this book that there is and should be controversy. If everyone within and outside of the Church agreed, we would know that God has abandoned us. No one knows the Truth and everything that is true. Although God speaks to our hearts, he also speaks to us through the presence, voice, insistence, and persistence of others. If the Truth doesn't make you uncomfortable, it's not the truth. But as we welcome the Truth, we find great comfort in it. 

And so we pray with Pope Francis that we have the courage to discern the Will of God for us at this time and in this situation. In this way, we become imitators of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.