Sunday, March 14, 2021

Fourth Sunday of Lent

Lectionary: 31

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life.


Anyone remotely familiar with the Old Testament must immediately recognize the presence of Abraham in today's gospel. The words his only son recall the patriarch and his beloved son on Mount Moriah. 

"Our Father in Faith" immediately answered the voice of God when he heard his name, and said, "Here I am." But he must have been speechless upon hearing God's demand, 
"Take your son Isaac, your only one, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah. There offer him up as a burnt offering on one of the heights that I will point out to you."
Perhaps the old man hesitated for a moment. Perhaps he made a counteroffer, "I will take my own life in place of my son!" That would not satisfy God. The LORD wanted more than Abraham could give, more than he could imagine giving. You know the story, of course, that God was satisfied with Abraham's willingness and the child lived to a blessed old age. 

Now, when we hear John 3:16, we know what it means. Although the LORD did not take Isaac, he did give his Only Son, the Beloved, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life. 

Like Abraham, the LORD gave more than he could give, more than the People of God should ever expect, request, or demand of God. Jesus too, gave more than he could give as blood and water flowed from his body, after he had handed over his spirit. There was nothing left to give. God was spent.

As Christians who are called to be perfect as your heavenly father is perfect, we too must give more than we can afford. He commands us to go the extra mile, give our shirts to those who want our jackets, and turn the other cheek. We must give beyond the required and expected if we would prove ourselves worthy of salvation. 

Failing that, we plead for mercy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.