Monday, March 29, 2021

Monday of Holy Week

Lectionary: 257


Here is my servant whom I uphold,

    my chosen one with whom I am pleased,
Upon whom I have put my Spirit;
    he shall bring forth justice to the nations…

 


The four first readings of Holy Week, Monday through Wednesday plus Friday, are called “Servant of the Lord poems” or “suffering servant songs.” Taken from the Book of Isaiah, they are treasured by Christians as prophecies about the Lord.


Today’s reading begins with an exciting introduction, “Here is my servant whom I uphold.” These words of a prophet five centuries before Christ anticipated his baptism in the Jordan River when a Voice spoke to us from the Heavens, “This is my beloved son on whom my favor rests!” And again, when he was transfigured on Mount Tabor, “This is my Son; listen to him!”


God has our attention, and we’re looking directly at Jesus. His mission, according to this first Servant of the Lord poem, is to bring forth justice to the nations.


If we were aware of it before March 2020, the pandemic has sharpened our awareness of widespread injustice. American nursing homes are understaffed, underfunded, stressed, and exploited. Our health care system was struggling before the epidemic; it survives in 2021 largely due to heroic efforts by its workers. We realized that most of our essential workers – who make our systems work -- are underpaid and vulnerable to contagious diseases, while the wealthiest prosper in the worst of times. We saw that epidemics, too, disproportionately afflict the poor, under-served, and racial minorities. Finally, perhaps most unnerving, we saw that the American form of democracy had not provided competent leadership to address an existential crisis. We had appointed a child to do an adult’s job.


The pandemic reminded us that a democracy cannot succeed without the Spirit that is willing to sacrifice, work together, and plan a future for the common good. Every citizen must expect to go the extra mile, give more than they can afford, and turn the other cheek. A democracy of every man for himself breeds only violence against women, children, the elderly, the unborn, and despised minorities.


As we emerge from quarantine, we need a religion that teaches, expects, and demands sacrifice. It must be inspired by The Servant of God who comes not to be served, but to serve; and to give his life as a ransom for many.


Christians of every nation will celebrate Easter with renewed hope and expectation this year. We bring our willingness to the Altar of Sacrifice, and our desire to feast on his body and blood.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.