Friday, March 26, 2021

Friday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Lectionary: 255

If I do not perform my Father’s works, do not believe me; but if I perform them, even if you do not believe me, believe the works, so that you may realize and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.”

 


In today’s gospel, Jesus challenges his opponents, “…if you do not believe me, believe the works!”

I am reminded of Hannah Hurnard’s popular Christian novel, Hinds Feet in High Places. The gist of the story, as I recall, was Saint Joseph’s dilemma. His betrothed was pregnant and yet she was transparently innocent. She said she had conceived through the power of the Holy Spirit. Should he believe her? Mary’s story was incredible and yet he knew in his heart she was incapable of lying. She had to be telling the truth.

The thesis of the novel: Joseph’s faith -- and thus, his salvation – depended on his decision about Mary.


There is only one faith. It is a simple act made in the mysterious, silent depths of one’s heart. It is a decision made in time, but the place and the path are uncertain. How did I come to faith? What do I believe, and what do I believe in?


One person might believe in Mary’s virginity; another, her Immaculate Conception. Someone else might know nothing of those doctrines but anchor their confidence in the Bible as God’s word, or the image of the Good Shepherd. For a third person it might be grounded in the parish church building and its ancient cemetery. For many it’s John Wesley’s “gentle warming of the heart,” an experience of reassurance at some critical moment in their life. For others it’s the Real Presence of the Lord in the Blessed Sacrament. Or perhaps, another of the sacraments. As a priest in a VA hospital, I hope the Veteran’s encounter with the priest will be a sacramental, saving moment for them.


These many approaches to faith might be called spiritualities. Catholics are familiar with spiritualities; including Franciscan, Benedictine, Dominican, Carmelite, Jesuit and many others. It is no stretch to suppose Christian spiritualities include Lutheran, Calvinist, Methodist, Pentecostal, Evangelical, and Mormon, to name a few. 

An ideologue might complain that there can be only one way to know God. Some "hard shells" have told me that I must "accept Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior!" I don't disagree but wonder about the word personal. 


Faith is more about fidelity than a personal conviction about beliefs, tenets, or creeds. It is a habitual but intentional reliance on God. Fidelity, as the word in used among English speakers, concerns one's dependability and reliability especially toward friends and family. Fidelity does its duties generously, eagerly, willingly, and usually exceeds its requirements. Enough is never enough for the generous. 


The opponents in today's gospel wanted nothing to do with him or his disciples. Nor are they faithful to their own religious tradition. They believe in their opinions, which is the worse form of idolatry, and refuse the Lord's invitation to belief and salvation. 


As we approach Holy Week and Easter we beg the Lord to set us free from our opinions that we might worship him. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.