Friday, April 23, 2021

Friday of the Third Week of Easter

Lectionary: 277

“Amen, amen, I say to you,
unless you eat the Flesh of the Son of Man and drink his Blood,
you do not have life within you. 
Whoever eats my Flesh and drinks my Blood
has eternal life,
and I will raise him on the last day.
For my Flesh is true food,
and my Blood is true drink. 
Whoever eats my Flesh and drinks my Blood
remains in me and I in him.

The Gospel of Saint John describes intense engagement with his opponents as Jesus speaks the Word of Truth. They can neither hear what he says nor the manner of his saying it. Although he seems intentionally to generate this controversy, practically inviting disagreement, it is impossible to understand his teaching if our approach is analytical, critical, or suspicious. 
The teaching requires simple acceptance; that is, obedience. Jesus speaks and we listen. This is what he says; how can I receive this teaching into my thinking, my attitudes, my approach to life? How do I receive it into my body? 
I eat his flesh and drink his blood. 
Rather than rewording the teaching in some manner that I can understand, that makes sense to me and to others, I let it teach me how to think and what words to use. I may have to wait a long time. If others ask me why I believe, I may have no answer for them. Or no answer that comes readily to my lips and readily to their understanding. 
I simply accept the invitation to eat and drink and remain in him
I might never have useful words to explain this mystery to myself. The Catholic Church, through many centuries of prayerful conversation, created the word transubstantiation. But not many Catholics have been trained in the histories of philosophy and theology to grasp that subtle concept. I suggest to some people, "It means a substantial relationship, like that of husband and wife, brother and sister, pastor and congregation." I'm not sure that helps, especially if that individual's relationships are strained or non-existent. 
One First Friday morning I took the Eucharist to a mischievous old man in my parish. He was a wit with more than a touch of senescence. When I held the Sacrament before his eyes and said, "This is the Body of Christ!" he said, "I don't believe that!" 
Young man that I was I said, "Shut up and eat it!" 
Sometimes it's just that simple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.