Thursday, April 29, 2021

Memorial of Saint Catherine of Siena, Virgin and Doctor of the Church


“Amen, amen, I say to you, no slave is greater than his master
nor any messenger greater than the one who sent him.
If you understand this, blessed are you if you do it.


Historically, as the religious orders formed in the Church, their first vow was obedience. Celibacy (chastity) and poverty came later; they were assumed as a subset of obedience. 
Saint Francis urged his friars always to obey their guardians (he preferred that title to superiors) even when they disagreed with the guardian about what should be done. Obedience was more important than being right. I have often heard men and women say something quite similar regarding marriage. 
As I have celebrated the Mass these 40+ years I have sometimes changed a word or two in the formal prayers, and then wondered why I did that. Was that minor alteration justified, necessary, and more important than the received text? Was my emendation so important that it overruled the compliance I owe to the Church? 
I have sometimes attended Masses when the priest so severely altered the prayers I was sure the Mass was not a Roman Catholic ceremony. He and his all important style seemed to come between God and his congregation. (I have also been moved to tears by the long-suffering patience of our faithful congregations.) 
Jesus stresses his teaching, "...no slave is greater than his master nor any messenger greater than the one who sent him." with "Amen, amen, I say to you!" 
We'd better listen to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.