Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Wednesday of the Third Week of Easter

Lectionary 275

“I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger,
and whoever believes in me will never thirst.


Historically, the Roman Catholic Church has clung to the most literal understanding of Jesus’s teaching about “the bread of life.” We take seriously his dual commands to “Take and eat; this is my body.” And Take and eat, this is my blood.” When he capped these directives with, “Do this in memory of me,” we knew we must never cease to eat and drink his flesh and blood.

During the Fourth Lateran Council (1213-1215), attended by Saints Francis and Dominic, the new mendicant orders were charged with spreading the cult of the Blessed Sacrament. My patron Saint Francis wanted his friars to carry brooms; they should sweep out churches where they found the Blessed Sacrament. A vigil light should be lit and the faithful should understand that the Lord God of Heaven and Earth resides in this holy place, under the form of a little piece of bread.”

He urged his friars:
Let everyone be struck with fear, let the whole world tremble, and let the heavens exult when Christ, the Son of the living God, is present on the altar in the hands of a priest! O wonderful loftiness and stupendous dignity! O sublime humility! O humble sublimity! The Lord of the universe, God and the Son of God, so humbles Himself that for our salvation He hides Himself under an ordinary piece of bread!
Brothers, look at the humility of God, and pour out your hearts before Him! Humble yourselves that you may be exalted by Him! Hold back nothing of yourselves for yourselves, that He Who gives Himself totally to you may receive you totally!

God’s presence in the Blessed Sacrament was never in the Church’s mind a metaphor; it is literal and physical. If we cannot understand how that is, neither can I understand my presence in my human body! It’s there; it’s real; and it doesn’t seem to want to go anywhere else!

We might posit two reasons for this insistence:
  • First and more important: this is God’s intention. How could we interpret Jesus’s solemn declarations on the night before he died differently? Any other interpretation lessens its impact.
  • Secondly, another interpretation allows a less radical response to God’s word. If the bread has not become Jesus’ body, my attentive, devout presence is not required. As it is, we must share the Eucharist in the Church with the faithful and carry it to the homebound. We must house it safely in a locked tabernacle and revere its presence even when we seem to be alone in the sanctuary. Reverence – sometimes called “Fear of the Lord” – demands no less.

Both Biblical Testaments insist that our God will not be taken for granted. He will not be categorized, compartmentalized, dismissed, or ignored. His mercies are superabundant and continual. Should we forget that, the Blessed Sacrament is here to remind us. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.