Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross

Lectionary: 638

 

Christ Jesus, though he was in the form of God,
did not regard equality with God something to be grasped.
Rather, he emptied himself,
taking the form of a slave,
coming in human likeness;
and found human in appearance,
he humbled himself,
becoming obedient to death,
        even death on a cross.

 


I am not sure when the song of Philippians 2 first invaded my spirituality. When did it become the key and cornerstone of my understanding of Jesus?


The Liturgy of the Hours invites us to recite the song – or sing, if we like – every Saturday evening. As I became more assiduous in daily attention to the Hours, I found myself looking up from the page and reciting Philippians 2 from memory.


And then one day I added my own twist to the prayer; I changed the person from third to second; that is, from he and him to you:

…though you were in the form of God,
        you did not regard equality with God something to be grasped.
    Rather, you emptied yourself,
    taking the form of a slave,
    coming in human likeness;
    and found human in appearance,
    you humbled yourself,
    becoming obedient to death,
        even death on a cross.
Because of this, God greatly exalted you
    and bestowed on you the name
    that is above every name,
    that at your name
    every knee should bend,
    of those in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
    and every tongue confess that
    “Jesus Christ is Lord,”
    to the glory of God the Father.


I often recite this paean along with the Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be. It’s about the same length. I can’t imagine that I am the only one in two thousand years who thought of this, but I leave it at that.


I understand that this song reappeared among twentieth century theologians as kenotic theology. (“Kenosis” is the Greek word translated as emptied.) As secular governments have become more powerful, the “Economy” invades our consciousness, and religion recedes into a disembodied, disenfranchised spirituality without organization or institution, theologians and the post-Vatican Church urge us to reflect on the powerless Jesus of Nazareth. As Saint Francis of Assisi -- way ahead of his time -- said, "Look at the Humility of God!"


Where medieval spirituality honored Jesus as a king and his disciples as knights, we remember Jesus as a layman. He was not born to the priesthood though his mother might have descended from Levi; nor did he have a government or military post. We know of no academic degrees although he certainly demonstrated a deep understanding of Jewish laws, prophets, and wisdom literature. By this world’s standards, he was nobody in particular.

And, because he was regarded as, or might have become, a nuisance to religious and secular authorities, he was disposable. 


Saint John described the conversation among the Sanhedrin days before Jesus was crucified;

"...If we leave him alone, all will believe in him, and the Romans will come and take away both our land and our nation.”

But one of them, Caiaphas, who was high priest that year, said to them, “You know nothing, nor do you consider that it is better for you that one man should die instead of the people, so that the whole nation may not perish.”

 

There's certainly nothing unusual about the an occupying military force like the Romans, or a government by and for the people like the Sanhedrin, deciding that certain individuals are expendable. Human sacrifice has been around for a long time and doesn't appear to be going away. 


When we honor the Cross of Jesus Christ we remember his words, that we must take up the cross and follow in his steps daily. We need not aspire to honors, power, gratification, or achievement. These things will be given as needed, when and if they're needed, according to God's uses for them. "We are unprofitable servants; we have done what we were obliged to do.."


The Gospels never said our way of life should be simple, fun, or easy. But it is good, and we welcome it for that reason. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.