Saturday, September 25, 2021

Saturday of the Twenty-fifth Week in Ordinary Time


Lectionary: 454 

Sing and rejoice, O daughter Zion!
See, I am coming to dwell among you, says the LORD.
Many nations shall join themselves to the LORD on that day, and they shall be his people and he will dwell among you.


I read a book several years ago entitled something like, "It's what's happening." A dreadful title, but it had some interesting remarks about religion in the United States. The most successful churches -- another dreadful idea -- offered the best preaching and the best music. (This was probably in the late 1970's.) In the competitive market for Christians, the churches with the best products succeeded; and products were rated by the entertainment value of the Sunday presentation, rather than by the miracles performed or souls saved. (One being prone to chicanery, and the other suspect of hypocrisy.) 

But, it's probably true that you must choose your church. I don't say that in the sense that Catholics should search around town and find the priest who tells them what they want to hear, or the church that never asks for money. 

Rather, we must choose the Church which we see with the eyes of faith, and that could be any Catholic congregation anywhere. Two people might attend the same Mass at the same time in the same parish and come away with two very different stories. One found what they were looking for: nourishment in the Blessed Sacrament, quiet in the heart, contentment in the Real Presence of God. The other heard crying babies. They saw overdressed and under-dressed people, and images which "turned me off." 

I meet lots of the latter in the secular environment of the VA hospital. And I meet many who believe that the Lord dwells among you in the Church. 

Choose your church wisely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.