Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Feast of Saint Matthew, Apostle and evangelist

 Lectionary: 643

He heard this and said,
“Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do.
Go and learn the meaning of the words,
    I desire mercy, not sacrifice.
I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.”


Wounded healer, damaged goods, rehab junkie, user in recovery: all titles familiar to today's Christian. Eventually each one must find themselves somewhere in that fellowship. 

There are some who are quite sure they need neither community, fellowship, friendship, nor penance. They're fine as they are. More power to you, pal. 

But as for me and my house, we will follow the condemned, wasted, and crucified savior. Do you remember how the disciples recognized Jesus after the crucifixion in Saint Luke's Gospel? 
"Look at my hands and my feet, that it is I myself."

And the Gospel of Saint John: 

Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe.”

They knew the Lord by his nail marks in his hands and feet. They were still fresh and startlingly beautiful.  

Nor did Saint Paul hesitate to show off his human frailty as he boasted of his many wounds, beatings, and imprisonments. They were his certificates of authenticity. 

If the high and mighty like to show off their wealth, prestige, and accomplishments -- if they have any accomplishments to show, and some are pretty pathetic -- disciples of Jesus reveal our wounds. 

I speak here especially of the spiritual wounds we carry, the regret, guilt, and shame that does not go away unless we live with them. Nor do we boast of them like victims. We should bear no resentments if they came by way of someone's indifference, foolishness, or cruelty. We show them because we have found mercy through them, as we turned to the Lord for comfort, reassurance, healing, forgiveness, and direction. As the Cloud of Unknowing says, "The Lord cannot resist the cry of those who turn to him in their utter failure."  

In that moment we knew we were not the heroes of our own lives. We didn't even have the starring role! 

That belongs always to the Lord who did not come to call the righteous but sinners. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.