Friday, January 14, 2022

Friday of the First Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 309

Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’
or to say, ‘Rise, pick up your mat and walk’?


When the Lord demanded of the scribes, "Which is easier to say?" he was not asking a rhetorical question. He wanted an answer. 

They, of course, could not answer. Perhaps they supposed the question was nonsense, like comparing eggs to automobiles. What do the forgiveness of sins and healing paralyzed persons have in common? 

Both would cost Jesus his life. Every time he healed someone, every time he forgave someone, every time he challenge the authorities with their hypocrisy and corruption, he generated more enemies. The end of their conspiracy was as inevitable as a guillotine; as natural as the current that charges an electric grid with the flick of a switch. 

Sin is mechanical; it's what we do to one another when we're deprived of grace. And it's what we do when grace appears among us if we do not welcome it. The murder of Jesus began when he was born, with Herod's questioning the magi. Freedom, on the other hand, is what we do under the influence of grace. It is gracious and generous; there is nothing mechanical about it. 

The scribes in the room with Jesus were astonished by his forgiving the paralytic's sins. His freedom and authority were mysteries incomprehensible and unfathomable. They were no more prepared to forgive the sick man than they were to hear the Word of God. They were simply critics waiting for the springe to snap on their prey. 

Forgiveness begins with humility, with the grace to admit, "I do not know," and the courage to say, "I cannot do it." It is, in my experience, a miracle; a sure and certain sign of God's presence. 

Under the impact of grace, I am willing to be forgiven; I am willing to forgive; I am willing to let God decide how I should think and feel about myself and others. I am willing to set myself aside, to get out of the way as the Lord governs me and them. They may be my dearest, closest friend or my lifelong enemy. Most forgiveness happens close to home, in the family and among coworkers. 

Forgiveness must include my willingness to be forgiven. I have often said in the confessional and to others, "If you turn forty years of age and haven't messed up big time yet, you ain't even trying." But many of my worst sins occurred later than that! 

I need God's forgiveness; and, just as important, I need the forgiveness of others. They'll not be able to abide my presence if they refuse, and yet I can only ask for it. The decision is between them and God. 

I am not the master of my life. My story is not about me. 

The cynical critic stands above and apart and judges. Disciples of Jesus are not given that authority. Ours is to praise God when we see wonderful works of justice and mercy, of healing and forgiveness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.