Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Memorial of Saint John Neumann, Bishop

 Lectionary: 214

God is love, and whoever remains in love remains in God and God in him.
In this is love brought to perfection among us,
that we have confidence on the day of judgment
because as he is, so are we in this world.
There is no fear in love,
but perfect love drives out fear
because fear has to do with punishment,
and so one who fears is not yet perfect in love.


Periodically, with select Veterans in the hospital, I repeat a two part credo of my own making. This I believe: 

  1. No one knows Jesus who refuses to belong to a church. (I am not particular about which church, Catholic or Protestant, but...) Loving the Lord without the Church is make-believe. The deluded solitary may be fascinated by their notion of "Jesus" and may find delight in the poetry and wisdom of Scripture. But if they cannot bear the real presence of his flesh and blood in the person of a fellow Christian they do not know the Lord. Catholics should know that better than anyone as we take "communion" with one another. We share communion.  
  2. Secondly, no one can remain in the Church without intensely loving the Lord Jesus. I simply cannot bear the presence of such hypocritical, faithless, foolish, sinful, ridiculous people without the One who continually leads me back to communion with them. In his stern justice and gentle mercy He will show me that I truly belong among them because I too am hypocritical, faithless, foolish, sinful, and ridiculous.
Jesus's prayer in John 17 must be satisfied! ...that all may be one. God's word cannot be frustrated or disappointed. He died on the cross that we might be one

Willing to be found (or lost) among others; obedient to the command of love; and cooperating with the decisions we make together as a Church; I discover the sheer delight of being and belonging among the People of God. 

My life is no longer about me. It is about the Lord and his Church. And periodically, I must confess, "Lord, I am not worthy to be under your roof; say but the word and my soul will be healed." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.