Monday, February 14, 2022

Memorial of Saints Cyril, Monk, and Methodius, Bishop

 Lectionary: 335

Consider it all joy, my brothers and sisters, when you encounter various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
And let perseverance be perfect,
so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
But if any of you lacks wisdom,
he should ask God who gives to all generously and ungrudgingly,
and he will be given it.


Often, as I go about the VA hospital in search of someone who will talk to me, I hear people laughing. Hospitals are thought of as grim ordinarily, and have been more grim since Covid 19 arrived in America. Many thousands of people have died, including many who would not have had they gotten the vaccine. Hospital staff from nurses, doctors, social workers, physical therapists to chaplains have grown weary. Many are counting the days to retirement. 

And yet I hear laughter. Humans find ways to amuse ourselves and others with quips, jokes, and surprises. It's how we cope with stress. 

Saint James, the author of today's first reading, would appreciate the sounds of hilarity, His letter is mostly sobering as he points to our habitual gossip, the hypocrisy of those who only talk the talk, our too-eager welcome to the wealthy, and our unenthusiastic greeting to the poor. "C'mon people, we can do better." But he also describes a persevering joy that lacks nothing and a wisdom that sees as God sees. 

The Gospels give us an unexpected glimpse of God, especially in the story of Jesus's baptism. We heard a voice from heaven declare, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.” 

I may be parsing words but I think pleased is more than satisfaction. One can be satisfied with a job that's done; but pleasure surpasses satisfaction. There's an element of surprise and delight in it. And well pleased is certainly happier than satisfied. Those who say they're satisfied when they're actually pleased or delighted might be restraining their expression. 

God is pleased, delighted, and even surprised at Jesus's human and divine love for him. He had tested Abraham when he demanded the holocaust of his beloved Son Isaac. And now the Gospels describe a greater sacrifice as the new Isaac voluntarily approaches Jerusalem and Calvary. He will be more than satisfied; he will be well pleased.

Finally, because our God is pleased with Jesus, we find humor, relief, and laughter amid wars, droughts, floods, fires, famines, and pandemics. Emmanuel. God is with us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.