Monday, February 28, 2022

Monday of the Eighth Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 347

In this you rejoice, although now for a little while you may have to suffer through various trials, so that the genuineness of your faith, more precious than gold that is perishable even though tested by fire, may prove to be for praise, glory, and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.


It doesn't help much to complain that our present troubles should not be happening. As human beings, we form attitudes, make decisions, and unleash forces which often grow beyond our abilities and strength to control. Nor do we find an awakened sorcerer to settle the mess and scold the shamefaced apprentice. We just find someone (other than me) to blame.

Saint Peter assured his flock, Christians in a world run amok, "may have to suffer through various trials." Realizing this we wonder, "How long, O Lord?" How long will these pandemics continue? How much will drug abuse, alcoholism, gun violence, and suicide take from me and my loved ones? What will I be forced to surrender? Is this the Wrath of God we read of in the Bible but were assured that our God doesn't act like that? How deep must our suffering go? 

Saint Peter finds a purpose in this tribulation, which he calls "trials." They are necessary for our maturation, as we become adults in Christ. Children deny responsibility for their wrongs. They make excuses, they blame someone else. They deny they obvious like Russians denying their intention to invade the Ukraine, or alcoholics who drink despite the pain of pancreatitis. 

Adults find opportunities. They make lemonade from lemons. They recognize the paralysis of their fears, set them aside, and act. When necessary they act without certainty of the outcome. Any plan is better than no plan, even if the plan is, "We'll wait and see." 

Adults know that God has a plan, and that plan is being worked out. They ask how they might assist. They expect to see how this trouble proved "to be for praise, glory, and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.