Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Wednesday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 337

Then he laid hands on the man’s eyes a second time and he saw clearly; his sight was restored and he could see everything distinctly.


Saint John tells us a similar story of Jesus's cure of a blind man by smearing his eyes with mud but there is no other two-step healing in the gospels. Why did it happen like that?  

Scholars explain the enigma by its placement in Saint Mark's gospel. It follows immediately after the Lord's discussion with his disciples as they crossed the sea of Galilee: 

They had forgotten to bring bread, and they had only one loaf with them in the boat. He enjoined them, “Watch out, guard against the leaven of the Pharisees and the leaven of Herod.”

They concluded among themselves that it was because they had no bread. When he became aware of this he said to them, “Why do you conclude that it is because you have no bread? Do you not yet understand or comprehend? Are your hearts hardened? Do you have eyes and not see, ears and not hear?”

And then Saint Mark follows this two-step healing with two questions for the disciples, "Who do people say I am?" and "Who do you say I am?" 

Jesus is opening the eyes of his disciples step-by-step because enlightenment does not come immediately. We have heard the word immediately many times in this gospel, but our understanding of Jesus and his mission does not come immediately. It takes time, patience, and maturity. It's one thing to answer the catechism question about the Christ, it's quite another to say why it matters to me. 

Peter will represent our unwillingness to learn in the following story when, after he has declared, "You are the Christ!"  and Jesus has prophesied what must come when they arrive in Jerusalem, Peter

"...took (Jesus) aside and began to rebuke him. At this he turned around and, looking at his disciples, rebuked Peter and said, “Get behind me, Satan. You are thinking not as God does, but as human beings do.”

And what does "You are the Christ!" mean to me? 

Jesus answers for I have no clue: “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me."

Does anyone think believing in Jesus should make life easier? 

Yes, the following of Jesus is certainly easier, more pleasant, and more satisfying than going my own way. "I did it my way" has to be the most ignorant song I've ever heard. But the gospel road is no easy street. It entails sacrifice and uncertainty. It's failures may be success; its achievements may be debacles. We walk by faith and not by sight

Hopefully, but not certainly, initiates find guidance, support, and encouragement in the Church. If that is wanting as we turn to the Lord, we're probably still stumbling in darkness. The saints assure us the true satisfaction of the gospel is its goodness. 

Isaiah, the prophet who is sometimes called the proto-evangelist, assures us:

The Lord will give you bread in adversity
and water in affliction.
No longer will your Teacher hide himself,
but with your own eyes you shall see your Teacher,
And your ears shall hear a word behind you:
“This is the way; walk in it,”
when you would turn to the right or the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.