Wednesday, May 18, 2022

`

 Lectionary: 287

Remain in me, as I remain in you.
Just as a branch cannot bear fruit on its own unless it remains on the vine,
so neither can you unless you remain in me.
I am the vine, you are the branches.


"Where do you stay?" and "Stay with me:" we hear that question and that appeal throughout the Gospel of John. They are complementary themes, reflecting one another like a question and its answer. 

In the preamble, the first eighteen verses of the Gospel, we learn that "the Word was with God" and yet "he was made flesh and made his dwelling with us." Some translations say, "He pitched his tent among us," recalling the tent of meeting where Moses placed the Ark of the Covenant. 

The Son of God always abides in his Father's presence. Even in his moment of agony when he seems infinitely far from the God and cries, "Why have you abandoned me?" we recognize the doubt that responds with more intense faith. We've all been there, wondering if God is with us and answering our own anguish with prayer. 

In the same first chapter of John we hear two men ask Jesus, "Where do you live?" and his invitation, "Come and see." When Pontius Pilate asked Jesus the same question, he heard nothing. Not everyone is invited; not everyone hears the summons or accepts the invitation. 

You and I have. 

"Don't stop praying!" my spiritual director advised me many years ago as I agonized over my compulsive behaviors. I was deeply discouraged and wandering like a lost sheep in the wilderness. Publicly my behavior was acceptable although my spirit was not. Privately, I was foundering and yet I continued to pray. 

Sometimes it helps to ask my heart, "What did you expect?" I have to retreat into my sadness and recall the attitudes and ambitions that brought me to this present moment. Did I expect success and find failure? Did I expect gratitude and meet indifference? Did I plan on a series of events that were not meant to happen? Don't I deserve better than this? 

The answer to any question will be the same, "Here I am, Lord." As will God's reply, "I am still here." 

We bear fruit. We're never too sure how that happens. Sometimes we do ordinary things and people think they're heroic. More often we show up and no one is surprised, or even impressed. We do whatever is necessary. Sometimes we take charge; sometimes we follow  others' lead. It really doesn't matter who does it; just so it gets done. 

What matters is the Lord is here. He has pitched his tent among us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.