Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Wednesday of the Fourth Week of Easter

 Lectionary: 281

“Whoever believes in me believes not only in me but also in the one who sent me, and whoever sees me sees the one who sent me.
...And if anyone hears my words and does not observe them,
I do not condemn him,
for I did not come to condemn the world but to save the world.


The Catholic doctrine of the Holy Trinity includes a staggering notion of inclusiveness. Not only are the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit absolutely -- infinitely! -- transparent and available to one another, the One God eagerly welcomes God's image -- every human being -- to participate in that mysterious quality we call divine. Words like grace, holiness, life, and love encompass the same idea. 

If power is the ability and intent to control other persons against their will, God is powerless. Because God is utterly free, that notion of power threatens the image of God. Jesus has demonstrated his willingness to suffer humiliation and death before he would violate the freedom of his enemies. On the other hand, Abraham demonstrated his intense love for God when he sacrificed his son Isaac. Although he loved the boy more than anything in this world -- even his own life --  he would surrender the child to God if God requested it. In so doing, he proved his faith in God, and was justified by his faith. 

We hear of the Lord's unwillingness to coerce anyone in his statement, "I do not condemn him, for I did come to condemn the world but to save the world." Nevertheless, those who freely choose to ignore his summons to freedom are doomed to humiliating abasement. Although they foolishly insist that they are acting freely, they cannot know the fearlessness of true freedom. Their "freedom" will always be constrained by their more urgent need for security. And when crises come they will kill others without hesitation in the name of security. 

Divine freedom willingly invites and includes other persons. It does not create a wealth gap like that between Dives and Lazarus. It recognizes and honors the unbridgeable gulf that does exist between one person and another; it bows in homage before the mystery of the other. 

I met this principle when a counselor suggested that I repeat to myself often, 

  • "I exist;
  • I matter;
  • I make sense." 

It was a wholesome form of self affirmation. However, the statement was not complete until I learned its necessary complement: 

  • "You exist!
  • You matter to me!
  • And I am willing to understand you if you'll be patient with my lack of comprehension. I want to know. Please try to explain to me how things make sense to you." 

Obviously freedom does not come easily to anyone; it takes time, courage, and commitment. The temptation to power is always there; it is the evil which lay in wait at the door and urged Cain to murder Abel. 

Freedom did not come easily to Jesus as he marched toward Jerusalem and Calvary. Anyone who supposes God has it easy has a seriously warped notion of God; they have never gazed upon a crucifix. Nor have they seen his nailed hands outstretched to embrace them. They have not understood that he was held aloft on that cross not by the nails but by his love. 

When we believe in Jesus we believe in his Father also. The two are inseparable; to love one is to love the other. In their inclusive welcome we become God. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.