Monday, May 16, 2022

Monday of the Fifth Week of Easter

 Lectionary: 285

Whoever loves me will keep my word, And my Father will love him, and we will come to him, and make our dwelling with him.


When we reflect upon what it means to be a Christian, we often cite the above verse and the indwelling of the Holy Trinity within the Christian’s heart. Jesus has made this statement in response to Jude’s question, “Master, then what happened that you will reveal to us and not to the world?” 

It’s a fair question and Christians often ask it. Most human beings wonder why am I different from other people, and disciples of Jesus feel their separation acutely as faith requires sacrifice and creates particular challenges. Inevitably they ask, “Why do I belong to God when others do not? Most people seem to get along just fine without faith in God or Jesus” 

We find the answer readily enough, "...we will come to him, and make our dwelling with him." For some, however, that is like money in the bank to a four year old. They can't see, smell, touch, or taste the treasure, and if the words are resounding in the deep caverns of their heart they do not hear them. 

The Lord has promised many times in Scripture to go with his people but I think especially of an intensely personal, and very difficult, conversation between God and Moses, in Exodus 33: 12-17

Moses said to the LORD, “See, you are telling me: Lead this people. But you have not let me know whom you will send with me. Yet you have said: 'You are my intimate friend; You have found favor with me.'

"Now, if I have found favor with you, please let me know your ways so that, in knowing you, I may continue to find favor with you. See, this nation is indeed your own people."

The LORD answered: I myself will go along, to give you rest.

Moses replied, “If you are not going yourself, do not make us go up from here. For how can it be known that I and your people have found favor with you, except by your going with us? Then we, your people and I, will be singled out from every other people on the surface of the earth.”

The LORD said to Moses: This request, too, which you have made, I will carry out, because you have found favor with me and you are my intimate friend."

First, I see that Moses has been given a rare intimacy with God but he uses the privilege to assure his people's place in God's sight. His salvation is never about himself. 

Secondly, when the Lord say, "I myself will go along, to give you rest," he is alluding to the idol, a golden calf,  they had made during Moses's absence on the mountain. He implies you will never need to substitute my presence with images of me or anything else! All that stuff you collect and hoard? Forget it. All the security you demand of your governments, your employers, and your banks? Forget them also. I will be your God; I will be with you! 

Finally, even after that reassurance, an anxious Moses again demands of God, "If you are not going yourself, do not make us go up from here!' And God explains his purpose -- a chore no supreme majesty should have to perform! -- "because you have found favor with me and you are my intimate friend!" 

This is the assurance that we hear in today's gospel, "...we will come to you and make our dwelling with you." (In the next chapter, John 15, we will hear the Lord call his disciples, friends.)

In difficult straits like wartime, famine, or epidemic, children and lovers often demand much assurance from those who can say no more than, "I am here. I will never leave you." We might demand something else, something more from our God but our God also gives us only that bond. 

In the crucifixion we see how far God will go with us; that is, even through the narrowest of passages of an ignominious and painful death. And there, by a miracle of grace, we find our satisfaction. We have demanded more of God and God gives us more. In fact, he can give no more. 

True, there are innumerable instances when, looking back through the perils we have survived, we realize the Lord created an opening where we saw only a blank wall. The crisis abated; the dilemma was resolved. The Lord did hear your prayers and change things for us. If we have not yet attained happily ever after, we have survived to live another day. But the real joy is in seeing that the Lord was always there, carrying us as a shepherd must sometimes carry the wounded lamb, when we were prostrate with exhaustion. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.