Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Memorial of Saint Ambrose, Bishop and Doctor of the Church

 Lectionary: 183

“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”


God's people, Jews and Christians alike, seem perpetually caught in the same enigma. The 28th chapter of Deuteronomy offers fourteen delightful verses about the blessings God readily bestows on his faithful people, and fifty-five terrifying verses about the punishment of the unfaithful. 

It's clear from the outset that God has chosen this nation in keeping with his word to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; and not because they are particularly intelligent, crafty, healthy, or beautiful. They have nothing to boast of, and might often wonder why are we so blessed?

"You are my people!" the Lord insists. "And I am your God!" You have no choice in the matter except to be faithful. 

I think of Abraham watching from a hilltop the smoke of Sodom and Gomorrah billowing and mushrooming, and wondering, "Who or what is this God who has claimed me for his friend?" 

Jesus comes to this bewildered people to reveal more fully the compassionate and merciful heart of God. He does not simply repeat what God has said all along. Rather, he says, "Come to me.... and I will give you rest." 

We are embraced  to the bosom of Jesus like the Beloved Disciple, and gathered into his Sacred Heart. 

C.S. Lewis remarked, "God is easy to please, and hard to satisfy." 

Indeed, God's love is insatiable, as is ours. And so we come to Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.