Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Tuesday of the Second Week of Advent

 Lectionary: 182

In just the same way, it is not the will of your heavenly Father that one of these little ones be lost."


The "news" is not often reassuring. Nor is there a great market for good news. We seem to expect and prefer the bad news -- until it becomes overwhelming and we can't seem to bear it much longer. 

At that point, we want comfort. We want to hear that Russia is retreating from Ukraine, or the drought has ended in Africa, or the Chinese have developed an effective vaccine against the latest strain of COVID. 

We want to hear that the punishment for our waste, indifference, and egotism has ended. We want to see that guns sales have tanked, and mass shootings have ceased. Young men are returning to school and women are paid as well as men. Married couples are working out their differences as they realize that divorce is no answer. Pet stores are closing as people prefer the company of children, family, and friends. The tobacco industry has vanished along with organized crime. And migrants are coming to fill jobs in restaurants, nursing homes, and hospitals. 

We want to know that God's wrath has abated because we have atoned for our sins against ourselves, one another, our planet, and our God. 

Is that blessed harmony only a dream, like when you wish upon a star? Must we wait until we get to heaven for these apparent impossibilities to actually happen? (And why would they happen in that mystical, mythical place if we're still the same people who can't work with each other?) 

At this point, I usually end up before God with a fervent prayer, "Lord, you have some problems here!" 

Believing as I do in Almighty God, and the almighty power of the cross, the resurrection, the Holy Spirit, and love: I look forward to that day when all things will be well

Love has eternity to work its miracles but I have seen more than a few already. I've seen them in my own heart, where I never expected them. I've seen them in others, where I hoped for them. 

In the meanwhile, there is comfort in God's word. We listen, we pay attention, we let it come and heal our hurts, console our sorrows, and turn our disappointments to satisfaction. 

Surely, if someone like me can acknowledge and confess his sins, that door is open to everyone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.