Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Memorial of Saint John of the Cross, Priest and Doctor of the Church

 Lectionary: 189 

Turn to me and be safe,
all you ends of the earth,
for I am God; there is no other!


Three times we hear that reassuring, encouraging declaration, "I am God and there is no other!"

Coming at the end of the calendar year, and the beginning of the liturgical year, Advent is the season for reaffirming our faith in God. 

But we cannot do so if there is doubt in our minds about God's gracious and powerful attention to us. We might have certain doubts, questions, and misgivings about the LORD, not unlike the Baptist's musing about Jesus. Is he the one or should we look for another? Is the LORD our God or should we try to make it without him? 

And so we hear the Word today, repeatedly: "I am God and there is no other!" To which every Christian in every Church must respond, "The Lord is God and we have no other." 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.