Sunday, May 7, 2023

Fifth Sunday of Easter

 Lectionary: 52

You have faith in God; have faith also in me.
In my Father's house there are many dwelling places.
If there were not, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?
And if I go and prepare a place for you,
I will come back again and take you to myself, so that where I am you also may be.
Where I am going you know the way."


A place with the Lord is his Sacred Presence, and that is everywhere he sends us. It is a place as varied as the universe, and diverse as multiculturalism. It welcomes human dignity and knows the one universal language of truth and love. It knows no distinction between the two. 

We know the way to that place because we are with the Lord. If he holds the map and we don't, that's not a problem. If our spiritual GPS shows only our location, and that sketchily, in two dimensions with a few street names, we're good, for the Lord is with us. 

As Saint John says, we have not seen the Risen Lord. We heard only lately of his death and resurrection. But we believe without seeing for his Spirit has gathered us into his presence. And we have witnessed his mighty works in the Sacraments on many occasions. We have seen the fidelity of husbands and wives, the healing power of prayer, the confident leadership of our clergy, the reconciling power of atonement, the unity of the Eucharist, and the beautiful life of Baptism.   

Pentecost is still three weeks away as we hear of the Lord's preparing a place for us. It is, in fact, a place in our own hearts which the Spirit of Jesus intends to occupy. And, as he surveys its neighborhood and infrastructural support, as he clears out any vermin that might infest our hearts, and resolves any lingering liens upon them, we prepare for the closing of Pentecost.

The place will be a base camp for us, a home in a foreign land, open to curious neighbors who wonder at our confidence amidst trouble. They will remark upon our generosity in hard times, and our patience in distress. If everyone in this alien place is rushing about as if driven and herded by demons, we live quiet lives of prayer and devotion, obedient only to the Lord, hearing only his shepherd's song. 

Yes, we know the Way, and we're walking in it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.