Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Wednesday of the Sixth Week of Easter

Lectionary: 293

I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.
But when he comes, the Spirit of truth,
he will guide you to all truth....


What I could not bear right now, and what I suspect the Lord might reveal to me if I were ready, is the length, breadth, and height of his mercy. Were I to see it, I would also know the enormity of my sin; and that I could not bear. 

Or perhaps, it's simply the enormity of my responsibility, which I can only handle one breath, one moment, and one day at a time. I know people who try to grasp the enormity of the world's poverty or the full dimensions of the ecological crisis. They cannot laugh, relax, or enjoy. Much less, accomplish anything. It's too much. 

I have just about given up on the news. A half an hour of the 6 p.m. schlock on one of the major stations, interrupted by commercials and feel good stories, is all I can bear. 

But there is also the magnitude of wonder which glows in every living thing, every ancient fossil, and every rock that lies idly on the ground. Why can't I see God's goodness, the Wonder of Being, at least occasionally? As Lawrence Ferlinghetti said, "I am for waiting a rebirth of wonder!" but I haven't the time right now. 

There is Mercy we cannot bear but must yet receive. And there is an eager God who would reveal it to us now, and will reveal it one day, when we can bear it. As we can bear it. 

It is there in the words of Jesus. We read this paragraph in John's Gospel as a glimpse of the Holy Trinity. The Spirit of God is also obedient, like Jesus. Who would have thought...? But we've so little knowledge of the Holy Spirit; and of that obedient freedom which is subject to the Father in all things. Can obedience be free? 

And here is Jesus going on to say in the same breath, "Everything that the Father has is mine." 

His freedom is a gift which he cannot, would not, and will not violate because it comes from the Father whom he loves even unto death. 

And it's a freedom which he declares to us: 

...for this reason I told you that he will take from what is mine
and declare it to you."

There is wonder here, and we wonder where it will take us. Deeper into truth. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.