Friday, May 12, 2023

Friday of the Fifth Week of Easter

 Lectionary: 289

I have called you friends,
because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father.
It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you
and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain,


Friendship has suffered much abuse lately. Social media exploits the word by redefining acquaintances as friends. The scriptures advise us let your acquaintances be many, and your friends be few, but Facebook and others corporation urge us to have thousands, if not millions, of friends

No thank you. I have a few and I am grateful.

The gay marriage movement has also redefined the word, suggesting that marriage is a form of friendship. It's certainly good when married couples are friends to one another, but that relationship is far deeper and more important than friendship. As I understand, no one who promoted the legal recognition of "same sex marriage" suggested they would not retain the option of divorce. They are, after all, just friends

When Jesus speaks of friendship, he brings several deeper dimensions to the word. First, he has revealed everything to his friends. And, secondly, he will lay down his life for them. Because that's what his friends do

I know a friar who routinely smuggled religious books and articles to his fellows in Communist East Europe. He knew the border officials played fast and loose with the rules of their absurd governments, and often demanded bribes. But he paid no bribes and hoped there was no government crackdown as he made his crossings. He might have been imprisoned for these minor infractions, for the love of his friends. 

And finally, Jesus adds a third depth of meaning to the word, 

"You are my friends if you do what I command you."

We don't usually demand obedience from our friends. 

Two weeks ago, we heard Jesus declare in the strongest language he ever used, 

"...unless you eat the Flesh of the Son of Man and drink his Blood, you do not have life within you." 

We have also heard, Saint Paul's warning: 

Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will have to answer for the body and blood of the Lord." (1 Cor 11:27)

In the context of Eucharist, our Christian fellowship of friends becomes very serious. We're not talking about Facebook acquaintances or temporary spouses. These are not the cheerful bonds we form at summer camp or weekend conventions. These are people for whom we'd risk our lives as if they were the Lord himself -- which they are. We are one body in the Lord. 

Frankly, I don't know what to make of all this, but I remember: 

Saint Maximillian Kolbe, a Conventual Franciscan like myself, waiting out his imprisonment in a Nazi work camp, listened to the troubles of a fellow Catholic. The young man was a husband and father; his family depended upon his survival. He must not die. So when the young fellow was arbitrarily selected to die, the priest stepped forward and astonished the camp commandant by volunteering to take his place. 

The official, caught off guard, demanded, "Who are you?" and Kolbe replied, "A Catholic priest." The Church honors him annually with the antiphon, 

No one has greater love than this,
to lay down one's life for one's friends.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.