Saturday, July 15, 2023

Memorial of Saint Bonaventure, Bishop and Doctor of the Church

Lectionary: 388

No disciple is above his teacher,
no slave above his master.
It is enough for the disciple that he become like his teacher,
for the slave that he become like his master.


Jesus's commissioning of his Apostles in Matthew's Gospel reminds us of the Latin principle, "servus sevorum dei." We are "servants of the servants of God." That title belongs first to the Pope, and then to the ministers of the church, from the highest office to the lowest. The least among us are also called to serve the rest for we must care for one another. Even the sick and dying should attend their obligations of prayer, courtesy, and gratitude. 

Jesus's teaching about the titles rabbi, master, and father also applies to this concern. Any title can become a nuisance to the community and a spiritual hindrance to its owner. The priest, catechist, or custodian who supposes they're beyond criticism and resent both help and helpful suggestions has turned their title into tyranny. We tiptoe around their imaginary kingdoms, careful to avoid the landmines they might have laid within their territorial boundaries. We advise each other, "Don't even think of it!" when they have a good idea about what that minister might do. 

Saint Francis urged his friars to consider the humility of the corpse. If you set a dead man on a throne, put a crown on his head and scepter in his hand he is no more pleased than when you let him lay in his casket. Royal dignity doesn't mean much to the dead. A friar might be forced to accept a position of leadership but he remains a servant of God's servants and should not expect or claim perquisites for his position. 

Jesus taught what Moses taught many centuries before, freedom; and especially freedom from the tyranny of one's own whims, wishes, preferences and desires. We can recognize and acknowledge them, but we need not serve them in the service of God and the Church. 

And should the day come, as Jesus predicted in today's gospel, when we meet fierce opposition for speaking the gospel truth, we should not take it personally. The Master is being attacked, not his servants. 

So do not be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
Everyone who acknowledges me before others
I will acknowledge before my heavenly Father.
But whoever denies me before others,
I will deny before my heavenly Father."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.