Monday, July 17, 2023

Monday of the Fifteenth Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 389

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace upon the earth. I have come to bring not peace but the sword.
For I have come to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and one's enemies will be those of his household.


"Fulfillment centers" in the twentieth century are not churches, as the title might imply, and perhaps there is no intentional irony in Amazon's use of the word. A consumer culture co-opts words like fulfillment, redemption, and promise. Consumerism is a kind of spiritual cancer; it changes the meaning and context of everyday life. Even our tastes are altered by its insidious appeal. Consumers want what they want when they want it, and feel that they deserve it. The consumer economy knocks itself trying to deliver on their expectations. 

But Jesus was not speaking to consumers when he spoke of bringing swords of justice and mercy upon the earth. Those who expect his religion to have material rewards are invited to go elsewhere; they only get in the way of Jesus's passage to Jerusalem. 

After hearing one of my ominous homilies about our potentially difficult future, a fellow told me of his experience at a Catholic university. He was told to tone down his religious expressions because some students (i.e. consumers) might be offended by them. 

We are tempted, and often expected, to apologize for our faith. Let's not do that. We should neither apologize nor intentionally offend by our habitual references to holy things. But from the core of our being -- a place deeper than politics, nationality, race, or gender -- we belong to the Lord. Our baptismal names signify that. Anyone who doesn't know of our faith knows nothing about us. We're like consumers, no more than ciphers or statistics, to them. 

But we belong to the Lord and each one's charm -- such as it is -- invites others to know the Lord as well. The Spirit moving within us sees to that. 

Some will take offense at us, as Jesus said. There will be conflicts among neighbors, friends, and family. We needn't take it personally. Provided that our conscience is clear; and our thoughts, words, and deeds are not repugnant to reasonable people -- we can suppose their hostility is aimed at God. He will defend us when we should be defended, and give us words to speak if words might help. 

But God has no need of our defense. As my Baptist preacher friend said, "When the Lord needs me to defend him, we're all in trouble!"  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.