Thursday, August 10, 2023

Feast of Saint Lawrence, deacon and martyr

 Lectionary: 618

Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly,
and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.
Each must do as already determined, without sadness or compulsion,
for God loves a cheerful giver.


We remember the deacon martyr Saint Lawrence for his sense of humor. Commanded to hand over all the Church's wealth, he gathered the poor of Rome and offered them to the Emperor. Even as he was burned to death on some kind of griddle he cracked jokes. 

I have long believed that faith and a sense of humor are so similar, they might be the same thing. People who are cruel, avaricious, greedy, frightened, or obsessed cannot laugh. Their humorous remarks are veiled threats, and no one is amused. 

Humor begins with laughing at oneself. Because I am not God; because I am not the center even of my own universe, much less anyone else's; because my time as a living, breathing creature of earth is brief; and my importance, minimal -- I can laugh at the humor of it all. My inconveniences, setbacks, disappointments, and occasional suffering are very real. But not that important. It's okay. This too shall pass. 

“Naked I came forth from my mother’s womb,
and naked shall I go back there
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;
blessed be the name of the LORD!”
(Job 1:21)
We accept good things from God; should we not accept evil? (Job 2:10)

This divine indifference -- tradition calls it apatheia or equanimity-- reflects the freedom God gives to, and demands of, his people. We can be generous to others because there's more where that came from. We can receive generously from others because no one has all they need without assistance from others. We can thank others for the smallest kindnesses because we recognize in them the divine providence of God. They too will receive generously because they've been kind to us. 

I often hear Americans marvel at their freedom but I am not sure what they mean by it. If they're not free to give generously to those in need; if they're only free to consume more for less cost: they're slaves of the economy, parasites of the earth. 

Saint Lawrence, who is celebrated as the harvest of summer begins, reminds us to laugh at ourselves and delight in God's providential mercy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.