Friday, August 4, 2023

Memorial of Saint John Vianney, Priest

 Lectionary: 405

Jesus said to them,
"A prophet is not without honor except in his native place and in his own house."
And he did not work many mighty deeds there
because of their lack of faith.

As this story of Jesus's homecoming is told, he appears seriously disappointed in their response. They are missing the most important opportunity of their life; and as an affectionate son of the village, he passionately wants to share his gift with them. 

But I wonder too if there was not some relief. I enjoy being with my family, those who remember me when.... It's good to take one's place in the group and listen to stories not about me, and appreciate their perspective on things not about me. The humble Messiah would have enjoyed that.

The Evangelist blames them for their lack of faith. Okay. And his family disappears from the narrative after Pentecost. Father Raymond Brown, the great American biblical scholar, wondered if some members of Jesus's family supposed they should lead the nascent church. Perhaps some contested Peter's leadership. Clearly the Spirit was on "the Rock" and only Mary and "James, the brother of the Lord," remained after Pentecost. Their disappearance is disappointing. 

But the Spirit remained with families in the New Testament age. Choosing the Lord as one's savior was never an entirely personal decision of the isolated individual. The New Testament never heard of such a creature. I think of Eunice, Timothy's mother; and Lois, his grandmother. Saint Paul knew his disciple's family as devout Christians. And there's the story of the jailer whose entire household was baptized. 

We should not look at the Bible through the lens of our hyperindividualism. Ancient story tellers told of many mythological beasts but that one is a modern creation. 

Jesus was never the Lone Ranger; he began his ministry by recruiting disciples who would announce his good news. There is no salvation without divinely chosen disciples, who may or may not be family. But they are their own family; they call each other by familiar names like brother, sister, father, and mother. 

The loneliest persons I've met are those who despise the Church. Locked in angry isolation, they look only for confederates who agree with their opinions and know nothing more about them. Many pastors suffer that disease; they may swear the love the Church, but they can't stand its people.

In the Lord we find the Church, and in the Church we find the Lord. There is our salvation. And thank God for it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.