Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Memorial of Saint Alphonsus Liguori, Bishop and Doctor of the Church

 

Lectionary: 402

The Son of Man will send his angels,
and they will collect out of his Kingdom all who cause others to sin and all evildoers.
They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.
Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the Kingdom of their Father.


Saturated as we are with the invasion of the public sphere into the private, we take for granted the doctrine of non-judgement. We're given universal assurance that each person should live the life they want to live without worrying how others judge them. Nor should we judge anyone, since no one can walk in another's shoes or appreciate another's suffering. 

But, at the same time, we hear continual judgement pronounced against those people. Typically, against whichever party we despise. Republicans denounce the liberality of Democrats while Democrats decry the Republicans' lack of compassion. 

"Thou shalt not judge" largely applies to oneself and one's tribe, although that elite group loses membership daily. History remembers how the French revolutionists guillotined first the aristocracy, and then one another. The principles seem to be, "Love me, love my opinions! And my friends agree with me." As they retreat further into their silos, they declare, "Everyone agrees with me -- or soon will." and "Only fools and evil people disagree with me." 

Would it not be simpler and more realistic, to admit, "There is only one judge, and that is the Lord. And by God's mercy, I live under divine judgement?" But that may be the primary reason why the world hates God. They hate and fear judgment. As the philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre said, "If there is a God, there shouldn't be." 

Jesus promises God's compassionate mercy to those who belong to him. "Come to me," he says to everyone who grows weary of hearing their own voice, and bored with their own opinions. You are not the wisest of people. You don't know everything, nor do you have to. You have no need to judge yourself or anyone else. "I am the Lord." 

As a certain bank tells us, "It's just easier here." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.