Monday, February 26, 2024

Monday of the Second Week in Lent

Firemen conduct a controlled burn
on the MSF prairie. 
Lectionary: 230

"Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
"Stop judging and you will not be judged.
Stop condemning and you will not be condemned.
Forgive and you will be forgiven.
Give and gifts will be given to you....


We judge others because we have to. Some people are dangerous; some people, for reasons of their own, do evil. 

I suppose we all do evil occasionally; or we have in the past. In retrospect, we wonder what we were thinking; and we remember with remorse, shame, and grief. But we might also wonder how we might have done differently, remembering the circumstances. "I should not have been there in the first place, in that near occasion of sin." 

And so we judge ourselves and we judge others. 

Contemplative prayer teaches us to go easy with the judgments. We needn't be cruel to ourselves, our loved one, strangers, or enemies. We cannot know what drives them anymore than we always know our own motives. And consequences are often unintended. "It seemed like a good idea at the time." 

As Daniel said, 

We have sinned, been wicked and done evil;
we have rebelled and departed from your commandments and your laws.
We have not obeyed your servants the prophets,
who spoke in your name to our kings, our princes,
our fathers, and all the people of the land.
Justice, O Lord, is on your side....

Faith insists that God is just; that Justice is on God's side. The Gospel insists there is such a thing as justice. Some people doubt that. They suppose there is only power, "Might makes it right. I do it because I can!" Given control of the military, the police, the courts, and the laws, the powerful can do whatever they want. Except that God is just.  They cannot control God. 

Judgment often comes as consequences follow; and then Justice laughs at the wicked. "I told you so!" they might say. "Ha Ha Ha Hallelujah!"

The just rejoice in knowing God is just; that he punishes the wicked even as he disciplines his people. And so we approach the Sacrament of Penance with a willingness to see, acknowledge, and name our wicked thoughts, intentions, words, and deeds. We are ready to turn back to the Lord again and say, 

"Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I no longer deserve to be called your son; treat me as you would treat one of your hired workers.”’" Luke 15:18-19




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.