Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Tuesday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 336


Blessed is he who perseveres in temptation, for when he has been proven he will receive the crown of life that he promised to those who love him. No one experiencing temptation should say," I am being tempted by God;" for God is not subject to temptation to evil, and he himself tempts no one.


Teachers, coaches, and counselors call it "impulse control," that ability to decide what one will do after recognizing the desire to do something. Just because I want to do something doesn't mean I should, must, or have to. Higher forms of most animals know that.

And chess players. They call them poisoned pawns. It's sitting there, it's not protected. Why shouldn't I take it? There's a reason! My opponent is no fool. If they've left that piece unguarded, I should think long and hard about taking it. But I want to! Think again!

Sometimes the reason you do something is because you don't want to. And vice versa, I won't because I want to. Impulse control suspects one's own motive, and remains open to better ideas. 

The Lord offers his guiding spirit not only to control our impulses but also to give us better ones. Those who habitually spend time with the Lord learn to recognize his voice. They know, as a good husband knows what his wife would want. That wisdom remains with the widow long after the spouse has died.

And the wisdom of Jesus, the bridegroom of the Church, remains with us two millennia after he died for us! And so we learn to wait, and trust, and hesitate, and act by Another's impulses. 

No longer will your Teacher hide himself, but with your own eyes you shall see your Teacher, and your ears shall hear a word behind you: “This is the way; walk in it,” when you would turn to the right or the left. Isaiah 30:21


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.