Monday, September 23, 2024

Memorial of Padre Pio (Pius of Pietrelcina) Priest

Lectionary: 449

Take care, then, how you hear.

Christians begin each day with prayer. We expect to meet any number of opportunities, challenges, and problems amid a tsunami of information, and so we ask the Lord to give us a discerning mind and heart. We will have to sort out the irrelevant; decide yes or no about the pressing; and not yes about what may require a decision later. 

We must take care how we hear. We're selective about our speaking, listening, looking, reading, and intuitions. Even our thinking is subject to Grace, which may steer us away from certain thoughts. "Garbage in; garbage out." We avoid both. 

It helps to hear that battle cry of the Lord as he faces our enemies, "Be still and know that I am God; supreme among the nations; supreme on the earth." (Ps 46:11) We cultivate stillness in our hearts. 

We take our position behind the Lord like Naomi Watts, in the part of Ann Darrow, when she found her comfort zone behind King Kong while he fought the giant lizard. It's just better there. 

Or as my preacher friend said in Louisiana, "When the Lord needs me to defend him, we'll all be in very serious trouble." We can choose our battles, and retreat from most of them. 

There is also helpful advice in today's gospel concerning privacy

For there is nothing hidden that will not become visible,
and nothing secret that will not be known and come to light.

Privacy is one of those man-made rights that have appeared in modern times. It represents the expectation most people have about their life amid the giant apes and lizards of governments and corporations. We should be able to opt out of their intrusions when we're minding our own business. They should not be imposing themselves on us continually since they are -- essentially -- only conglomerates of other human beings with their own interests, needs, and fears. The federal government -- which represents me and several million others -- may have a legitimate interest in my gun -- if I had a gun, which I don't -- but should not search my closet for it. 

But concerning privacy, the Lord frankly warns us, "Every story will be told sooner or later. There is nothing hidden that will not become visible." Can you imagine someone stepping into the Lord's scenario in Matthew 25:31 -- the Judgment Scene -- and saying, "Now just one minute, Sir! You're invading my privacy?" I don't think so. 

So live your private life with the same scrupulous concern that you present to the public. In the long run there is no difference. Public and private are human coinage and neither is worth a huge investment. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.